Snow Day Essentials
This past weekend we got a ton of snow dumped on us in Chicago. The school, libraries and municipal buildings were all closed and I was lucky enough to work from home. While my boys were thrilled to bust our their new saucers on the local sledding hill, I was more looking forward to curling up with a good book in front of the fire and watching the snow fall though the window in a very hygge way. Here are some of my favorite things for creating a cozy, comfortable snow day:
- Pink Himalayan Crystal Salt Caramel Bar | Voges Haut Chocolate - $8: Rich, burnt, delicately salted caramel trickles out of this dark chocolate bar from a local Chicago chocolatier. Pink Himalayan salt has an ancient energy, nutritive qualities and a delicate flavor, all of which perfectly compliment sweet caramel and earthy cacao.
- Lippe Balm | Drunk Elephant - $18: This clean formulation is spiked with an exotic blend of avocado, mongongo, cranberry and marula oils to deeply moisturize, replenish, hydrate and soften delicate lips.
- Hand-knit Wool Socks | Bloc Socks - $35: Handcrafted in Bulgaria, traditional sock patterns like these have been passed down through families for generations. The makers gather and dye wool locally. All the wool is hand-processed so that it's soft and warm against the skin and each pair of socks sold supports artisans and traditions in Bulgaria's rural villages.
- Cashmere Soy Candle | Linnea's Lights - $34: Create a calming mood right at home with the soothing aroma of herbal patchouli, vanilla, lime. Each candle is blended and hand-poured in Indianapolis with an unwavering commitment to quality and beauty.
- Buffalo Check Wool Throw | Faribault Woolen Mill Co. - $90: Stay warm and toasty no matter the temp outside with this classic from Minnesota. Crafted from pure lambswool this timeless buffalo pattern throw has been warming laps for over a century.
- Ishi Coffee Mug | Casa Verde - $11: I am seriously in love with this mug! It features an organic faceted shape and warm speckled cream glaze that adds a timeless quality to every cup of cocoa.
- Cookie Butter Hot Cocoa | Homemaker's Habitat - DIY: My talented friend and neighbor, Rebecca, just posted this recipe on her blog for the ultimate hot cocoa. By using rich, spicy specaloos Rebecca has concocted an amazing snow day treat.
- Look Both Ways | Debbie Millman - $21: Snow days are always the perfect excuse to curl up with a good book. I am really excited to immerse myself in this book of essays by branding consultant Debbie Millman. This series of essays reaches beyond just the world of branding and advertising, but focuses on the relationship between design and everyday life. Each beautifully illustrated essay reveals the magic - and wonder - of the often unseen world around us.
That pretty much sums up my life right now and I am trying to enjoy snuggling with my family, seeing the beauty in the world around me quiet and blanketed in white. What do you enjoy doing on snow days?